On The Move
Wells Fargo Launches South Carolina Technical College Grant Program
Jul 25, 2012
Establishes $325,000 grant program to support workforce development
COLUMBIA, SC - July 25, 2012 - Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) announced today a statewide technical college grant program aimed at awarding $325,000 to South Carolina technical colleges. The investment will focus on supporting programs that promote local workforce development and job creation.
Wells Fargo has awarded grants to the following technical colleges:
- Trident Technical College, located in Charleston, received a $100,000 grant.
- Midlands Technical College, located in Columbia, received a $75,000 grant.
- Greenville Technical College, located in Greenville, received a $50,000 grant.
- Florence-Darlington Technical College, located in Florence, received a $40,000 grant.
- Horry-Georgetown Technical College, located in Myrtle Beach, received a $27,500 grant.
- Spartanburg Community College, located in Spartanburg, received a $15,000 grant.
- Piedmont Technical College, located in Greenwood, received a $5,000 grant.
- Tri-County Technical College, located in Pendleton, received a $5,000 grant.
- Central Carolina Technical College, located in Sumter, received a $5,000 grant.
- Northeastern Technical College, located in Cheraw, received a $2,500 grant.
“South Carolina’s economy continues to recover from the lingering effects of the past recession,” said Rick Redden, South Carolina President for Wells Fargo. “We believe workforce development and job creation are key to accelerating economic growth. We are proud to make a significant investment in our state’s technical colleges. They play a critical role in driving workforce creation by developing a talent pool of skilled labor for new and existing companies.”
Pictured: Left to right: Rick Redden, Wells Fargo South Carolina
President and Susan Bankson, Wells Fargo South Carolina Community
Affairs Manager, presented a check to Dr. Darrel Staat, president of the
SC Technical College System.
According to the SC Technical School System, technical colleges have experienced a sharp decline in state funding by just over 50 percent at the same time as they have experienced a nearly 30 percent enrollment increase. The SC Technical College System educates and trains more than a quarter million South Carolinians each year.
“South Carolinians rely now more than ever on the SC Technical College System to learn new skills and enhance their overall employability. A technical college education offers students the lowest tuition cost available and the greatest flexibility,” said Dr. Darrel Staat, president of the SC Technical College System. “The tremendous generosity of Wells Fargo with this grant will assist the colleges in providing our students with an even better opportunity for success.”
About Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a nationwide, diversified, community-based financial services company with $1.3 trillion in assets. Founded in 1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells Fargo provides banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, and consumer and commercial finance through more than 9,000 stores, 12,000 ATMs, the Internet (wellsfargo.com), and has offices in more than 35 countries to support the bank’s customers who conduct business in the global economy. With approximately 265,000 full-time equivalent team members, Wells Fargo serves one in three households in United States. Wells Fargo & Company was ranked No. 26 on Fortune’s 2012 rankings of America’s largest corporations. Wells Fargo’s vision is to satisfy all our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially.